Sunday, October 12, 2008

Journey's End

My trip on the ELL is finished! It has been quite a learning experience, too.

I have to say that while parts of it were fun, it was a lot more like work than I think it was intended to be, at least for me. Even though I am a full time employee, because at EPL we all spend most of our time, at least in the public service areas, on a busy public service desk, I think I did quite a bit of this trip on my own time. Staff with no access to technology at home I think would've been at a disadvantage to complete the "trip."

I have ended up being quite an RSS feed addict. I am regularly following a few library and library-related RSS feeds. I haven't discovered too many that support my personal interests, but that's okay.

I have found that my desire for a new computer or laptop for myself has increased.

A really good by-product of this whole experience has been the opportunity to read some of my colleagues' blogs. It was great to see the creativity, intelligence and personality of some folks with whom I don't get to work as closely as those in my own department. (I already know how smart, creative and funny they are.)

I think this has been a great look at uses of technology and Web 2.0 applications for fun, work and lifelong learning. I now feel like I have some new tools in my toolbox.

1 comment:

Learning Librarian said...

Jan, I really love those RSS feeds too. I also felt the same desire for a computer of my own, so I just bought a laptop. Go for it!