Monday, September 29, 2008

Libraries 2.0

These are exciting times for libraries, I think. Can we keep up?

Again, I'm enough of an "old timer" to still appreciate the value of information, subject heading, and even opinions of people who have some expertise. I'm not such a fan of the opinions of the unvetted masses. So it's hard for me to say, "Hooray!" to the big changes that are coming.

But, on the other hand, I do like change. I get bored easily. I used to just change jobs, but now I just wait for the change to come to me.

I think that all of these new, interactive technologies the future generations of users will want libraries to include them in there services, so we should be learning them and looking for ways that they enhance our services. They certainly make it possible for libraries to reach new or different target audiences.

Children's departments around us are already taking advantage of things like blogging as a way to reach parents and, perhaps, older children. I'm not convinced that too many kids younger than Middle School age are going to read a library blog. They might be interested in getting in learning and using the technology, but finding ways to use this new technology to grab their interest and keep them as library users. We have challenges ahead and the better I understand and keep up with all this the more we can avoid the "icebergs" that Rick Anderson referred to in our readings. Full speed ahead!

No comments: