Monday, September 22, 2008

Twitter

I have to confess, Twitter wasn't as user-friendly for me as some of the other things I've tried as part of ELL.

I could see enjoying this if I were one of those Must Be Connected folks. I also could see using it, if my sisters, nieces, nephews and great-nieces and nephews were on board. For people I'm close to this would be great. I'm just not into the minutia of the lives of people I don't know.

Again for the right audience for libraries, I suppose, it would be like a Facebook or MySpace page, in that you could promote library services, programs and collections in more personal way than just a website. I'm not sure how that would work.

Mary just forward an invite to an Adult Reading Round Table program for Reader's Advisor's in Chicago that's right up the ally of all of us ELLearners. It's going to talk about using all these Web 2.0 technologies for Reader's Advisory. Sounds really fun, but I figured I see if anyone else from Children's is going. MamaWitch is going so I think I'll let her represent us at this one.

Back to my frustrations with Twitter. How do I enter a profile? Make my posts private? How do I search for anything other than other Twitter-ers from Evanston? That one I did figure out on my own and I'm currently following the "trend" of season premier of Heroes.

Actually this Heroes "thread" is both idiotic and fascinating to me. I am a watcher of Heroes and I'm taping tonight's premier, since I'm working, but really there are hundreds of comments already of folks just saying, "I can't wait," "I'm so exited," "Tacos then Heroes," and on and on. Also many that are counting down. Tweets are appearing now saying they are watching the show. I guess part of me is "geeky" enough that I find this an amusing way to feel as if I'm part of the premier excitement even though I can't watch it until I get home.

I did try looking at the top 10 librarians on Twitter. I can't say I found anything to follow in their minute to minute musings. In fact I find the "individual" pages difficult to follow and understand.

The Heroes thread is a lot more like eavesdropping on a conversation and now with the season two recap finishing and the actual premier about to start in 10 minutes it's incredible to see how fast the Tweets are posting!

No comments: