Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Thing #12

I liked poking around on Hennepin County's website and Ann Arbor's, too.

While I don't think Library Thing's for me, I do think it adds value for a great many people, so having the option for library website users to add tags or comments or create reading lists would probably draw more folks to a library's website.

I know that CCS is exploring adding Library Thing to IBistro. That would be great if they can make this happen.

I wonder a bit about the "virtual communities" that are created. For example, it looked like there was book added in Hennepin by an HNorborg. Is that our Evanston librarian H. Norborg? As a selector here at Evanston Public Library, it would be interesting to see what our taxpayers were saying about what books they were reading, but it really loses it's usefulness for me as a selector if I'm looking at comments coming from across world. I'm not selecting for a virtual community, I'm not selecting for a real community of users and I'd love to know what they were thinking. I'm not so interested in selecting for the whole world.

No comments: