Thursday, August 28, 2008

Social Networking

Call me an old fogey, and it's true, but I really don't get the "social networking" phenomena. Maybe it's because I'm not a true "techie." I'm not prepared to spend hours hunched over a computer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Luddite. I love computer catalogs vs. card catalog; I love my new IPod, but most days when I leave work I don't want to spend anymore time on the computer than I already have.

I only just got a personal e-mail account about a year ago and I did that to subscribe to two work related listservs that were clogging up my Inbox on my work account because I never had time to look at them here. Now they clog up my Inbox on my Comcast e-mail account at home because I have to fight the computer away from my spouse, but mostly because I can't bear the thought of being the computer after being on almost all day at work.

Also, even though most people who know me through work think I am an extrovert, it isn't true. I know I am an introvert because when I get home after a day of computers and people-contact, the last thing I want is more people contact, even if it's virtual. Social, I'm really not.

Despite all the protesting, I might consider Facebook, because I know several of my lovely colleagues and former colleagues are on Facebook and I liked the idea of keeping my privacy. MySpace looked like a meat market. Reminded me of my brief stint as a Bally health club member. Young people cruising to meet other young people, looking for more physical, than social contact.

LinkedIn might interest me if I knew other librarians were on board, but I couldn't find a way to search by profession, or maybe that option is only open to members.

So, some day you might see me on Social Networking site, but not just yet.

No comments: